Thursday, December 8, 2011

Maye Ni Maye, Main Ek Shikra Yaar Banaya

Sublime...


Singer: Jagjit Singh
Lyricist: Shiv Kumar Batalvi


Maye Ni Maye,
Main Ek Shikra Yaar Banaya,
(Mother o Mother
I have befriended a hawk(shikra))

Ude Siir De Kalgi,
Te Ude Paryi Jhanjar,
O Chog Chuginda Ayaa,
(With a plume on her head,
 and bells on her feet
she came pecking for grains)

Ek ohde Roop Dee Dhup Tikheri,
O Duja Mehka Da Tirhaya,
(One,her beauty , sharp as sunlight
two,her fragrance.as if she was dipped in perfume )

Teeja ohda Rang Gulabi,
O Kise Gori Maa Da Jaya,
(third,her color ,that of rose
she must be a child of a fair mother)

Ishqe Da Ek Palang Nawari,
Weh Asa Chananiya vich daya,
Tan Di Chadar Ho Gayi Maili,
Os Pair Ja Palgi Paya,
(I made a bed of love,
 and laid it in moonlight.
sheet of my body was strained
when she set her foot on it)

Dukhan mere Naina De Koye,
Te vich Harh Hanjua Da Ayaa,
Sari Raat Gayi vich Socha,
Us Aye Ki zulm Kamaya,
(corners of my eyes hurt
overwhelmed with tears
all night went thinking
what I did to deserve this)

Subha Savere Layni Vatna,
We Asa Mal Mal os Navaya,
Dehi De vich Niklan Chinga,
Ni Sada Haath Gaya Kumlaya,
(early morning, with vatna(paste to cleanse skin)
I scrubbed and bathed her.
Embers exuded from her body
and my hands got burnt)

Churi Kuta Ta O Khanda Nahi,
Weh Asa Dil Da Maas Khawaya,
Ek Udari Aisi Mari, -2
O Mud Vatni Na Aya,
O Maye Nee,
Main Ek Shikra Yaar Banaya…………
(I crushed the food for her,but she never ate
so I fed her with the flesh of my heart.
She took such  a flight
that she never came back
O Mother 
I have befriended a hawk...)


<The translation is to the best of my understanding. For any modification/rectification please let me know>

1 comment:

  1. Good work... But the way the song has been written, the gender of the hawk is male and the words are that of a woman

    ReplyDelete